So as a treat for being good while I went to the doctor and ran errands, I purchased the ready-to-bake type cookie dough. Eventually I'll actually attempt baking them from scratch, but this time the already pre-measured squares seemed to be easier for Bug to "make".
We sat on the kitchen floor and I sprayed the baking sheet with cooking spray. Then, I handed Bug one square at a time, asked him not to put it in his mouth and then helped him put it on the baking sheet. After all the cookies were on the baking sheet, we put them in the oven and set the timer. This did not settle well with my son. The poor guy was ready for his cookies! The 10 minutes that we were supposed to wait turned into tears -apparently 15 cookies are a very serious matter! Plus more tears came when I kept answering his cry for cookies with a "not yet!"
Finally the timer went off and Bug came into the kitchen to see me take the cookies out!!!!
Unfortunately, we also had to wait for them to cool off. That was even harder for my little guy! He stood by me asking for his cookies, and waited very impatiently.
I took the baking time as the perfect opportunity to teach patience. Up until now, we have been teaching him to ask for what he wants using "por favor" and "gracias". He does very well with this lesson because once he uses his words, he is given what he asks for. Today though, he had to wait for something he asked for. He used his words, but I couldn't speed up the timer or cool the cookies any faster. He simply had to wait for his cookies.
A difficult lesson, but one that ended with yummy chocolate-chip goodness! Overall I think our baking/ lesson moment was a complete and DELICIOUS success!! :)
Love love LOVE - even though I'm sure this is (and will be) super hard for a toddler. Props for his mom for teaching him such a good life lesson! Although if he visits Aunt Jordan I can show him how delicious raw cookie dough can be... jk ;) Love ya!
ReplyDelete