Today has been one of those days where all around me there seems to be a lesson or encouragement. This morning I got a text challenging me to do things anonymously for others. Something I know I should do but rarely find the opportunity to.
Bug and I ran errands this afternoon. At the doctor's office I was helped by a wonderful staff who all noticed my little boy and talked to him (and helped me pick up all the toys he had so much fun throwing on the floor).
Later, we went to the store to get some groceries. Preoccupied with my list, the time, and my little boy who wanted to come home and rest, I did not notice the lady in line before me. She was returning part of her groceries because she didn't have the money to purchase them all (milk and apples were some of the items she returned). The man standing between the lady and me was generous and paid for the items so the lady could take them with her. That's when I noticed her. She looked young, embarrassed and a bit shocked by the man's generosity.
This was the point where I stopped and realized the whole day I had been focused on my lists, my plans for the day, and everything that had to get done. I rushed around getting errands done but didn't stop to notice the people I could have interacted with. So i have to wonder how many people could have used some help today or needed a kind word said to them? I saw at least 50 people and remember making eye contact with less than 10. In a city where everyone is busy and rushing, I really have to make an effort and start focusing on those around me. As my best friend always reminds me " you may be the only 'Jesus' they see today"!
No comments:
Post a Comment